Episode 37 is dedicated to Rodney Harrison of the New England Patriots (Reggie knew that off the top of his head), and Metta World Peace, aka Ron Artest.
‘Metta’ means loving kindness and friendliness towards all, and is a traditional Buddhist word.
He chose this name ‘to inspire and bring youth together all around the world.” So special.
– Reggie actually entered the world and entered the DCS (then CPS) system. He lived with his mom until he was 7, and then he was able to be raised by his older sister and her husband. Reggie is the 8th of 10 kids.
– CPS means Child Protective Services, and DCS is Department of Child Safety
– Having worked at DCS since 2010, Reggie has done every kind of job there: investigations, high profile cases, mentoring, supervision, and now he is a data technician as well as office notary. He loves this new position because he gets to support case managers and supervisors
– in May 2017, the backlog of 16,000 uninvestigated reports were officially cleared
– in August 2017, Arizona launched a new mobile app to better serve children and families in the field
– over the last two years, Arizona safely decreased its foster care population by 24% as the national average increased by 4%
– Maricopa County has about 2100 open reports, 277 of those reports have been open for more than 60 days. They are working hard to close more reports, with more efficiency and speed.
– More Foster Families! so that kids do not need to live in group homes, or shelters. There are kids living in homeless shelters! Let’s all work together to change this.
“When you are in a difficult place, realize that the Lord either placed you there, or allowed you to be there, for reasons perhaps known only to Himself. So do not just go through this, Grow through this.”
Reggie! (And Shamesha, for watching allt he boys at home and letting Reggie come over to record with us at 8 pm on a Wednesday night) Thank you for your time on the podcast, but thanks especially for your time with DCS, serving the kids in care, by working so hard at your job!
You can find me at:
Jihae Watson on Facebook
Fostering Voices on Instagram
Jihae Watson on Instagram
AND we would LOVE it if you would leave us a review on iTunes! This helps others to find our podcast so we can share these voices from the foster care and adoption community with more people!